The American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) serves more than 53,000 members in the U.S. and around the world. With more than 175 talented employees, our organization places tremendous value on the contributions, expertise and knowledge that each one brings to our table. Our Schaumburg, Illinois headquarters is home to member support, education, marketing and operational functions, while colleagues in Washington D.C. advocate on behalf of patients, physician anesthesiologists and the specialty. Thanks to our positive, supportive work environment, ASA has been named one of Chicago's Best & Brightest Companies to Work For® over the last three years. In 2018 and 2017, ASA was also named one of the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation®. As we continually seek to strengthen the organization, we welcome individuals who are competent, innovative, motivated and agile. If this sounds like you, please consider reaching out!
The Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research (FAER) is a 501(c)3 non-profit, and a related organization of the American Society of Anesthesiologists®. For over 30 years, FAER has been dedicated to developing the next generation of physician-scientists in anesthesiology. Charitable contributions and support to FAER help fuel the future of anesthesiology through scientific discovery. Funding priorities include: Research, Education, and Training.
The Director of FAER is a key member of the senior leadership team (President/CEO and the officers of the board of directors) providing the strategic and operational planning required for FAER to accomplish its mission. This position oversees and coordinates the activities of FAER’s executive office operations through leadership, management and direction.
Primary Position Responsibilities:
· Financial and business planning and oversight:
o Under the guidance and direction of the President/CEO, initiates and develops the annual budget and actively participates in entire FAER budget process.
o Assures cost-effectiveness of the work unit (staffing matches workload, develops and oversees applicable productivity measurements, reviews and verifies monthly financial/staffing statements) for areas of responsibility.
o Provides direct staff support for the FAER finance committee and Treasurer.
o Primary FAER contact person with ASA Finance Department to address regulatory and reporting compliance issues regarding the FAER audit process, disbursements and documentation.
o Monitors and reports income and expense activities to ascertain and control budgets and bank and investment accounts relative to expectations and necessary transactions.
o Reconciles ASA ledgers of FAER financial activities.
o Obtains appropriate consultation to ensure legal compliance as a 501(c)(3) organization.
o Functions as the FAER Business Analyst by providing requirements for projects, documents business and system processes, and conducts quality assurance (QA) activities.
· Manages programs staff to support the goals of FAER. This includes general management of staff, annual performance reviews, and one-on-one coaching/mentoring. Responsible for the quality, workload, and performance of team members while executing own job responsibilities. Programs staff is directly responsible for FAER’s Grants and Programs as assigned by the Director of FAER.
· Coordinates FAER activities with the FAER Development Manager and FAER Marketing and Development Coordinator to ensure smooth functioning of FAER’s key activities. Works closely with the President/CEO, board members, and others to understand and prioritize goals and projects.
· Provides direct staff support to the FAER Board of Directors and Officers, including the Executive Committee. Program manager for the Biannual FAER Board of Directors meetings.
· Functions as the FAER Project Manager by leading projects, including defining project plan (specify goals, constraints, strategy, staffing, scheduling, risks, contingency plans, and resource allocation), ensuring milestones are met, and successfully implementing project to production.
· Oversees contract development to ensure accuracy in terms of agreement, transparency in reporting, compliance with regulatory guidelines and subsequent reconciliation and reporting where required. Initiates engaging outside expertise for review as necessary.
· Coordinates FAER activities at ANESTHESIOLOGY®.
· Responsible for major donor portfolio.
· ASA relationship manager. Maintain communications and work collaboratively with ASA CEO or his designee and other senior team members to facilitate mutual goals.
· Regularly meets with FAER President/CEO to discuss strategic direction of FAER and align current and future resources to meet those goals.
· Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or equivalent, Master's degree preferred. Post degree training in business, computers and/or finance a plus.
· Minimum 10 years of experience with program development, communication and strategic planning.
· Minimum 3 years of Senior Managerial or Director experience.
· Ability to develop staff and build high performing teams.
· Demonstrated organizational and leadership skills; ability to work effectively as a member of a management team; must relate effectively with students, faculty and administration in a national capacity.
· Experience with program administration in an academic anesthesiology department preferred.
· Strong technical acumen and ability to learn new technologies quickly is required.
· Ability to explain policies and procedures and establish effective working relationships required.
· Ability to think innovatively and apply thoughts fundamental concepts.
· Ability to analyze data, communicate with stakeholders, and develop recommendations for solving problems while exhibiting realistic understanding of issues.
· Ability to recommend professional best practices for non-profits and associations.
About American Society of Anesthesiologists
The American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) is a medical association that serves more than 53,000 members in the U.S. and around the world. We strive to be the world's premier medical society by offering superior educational opportunities and resources to our members, as well as a positive, empowering environment for our employees.
With more than 175 talented, enthusiastic employees, our organization places tremendous value on the contributions, unique expertise and vast knowledge that every individual brings to our table. Our Schaumburg, Illinois headquarters is home to a variety of member support, education, marketing and operational functions, while colleagues in Washington D.C. fiercely advocate on behalf of patients, physician anesthesiologists and the specialty as a whole.
Each of us is dedicated to our members and we strive to create an outstanding experience that helps them succeed. This commitment to excellence reaches far beyond our daily tasks—we set high expectations for ourselves, exhibit a strong work ethic and take pride in the results we achieve. Collectively, our desire to keep improving allows us to achieve great things as we seek feedback, pursue knowle...dge and strategize to enhance our organization for the future.
One tangible result of living our values is being named one of Chicago's Best & Brightest Companies to Work For® over the last three years. In 2018 and 2017, ASA was also named one of the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation®.
As we continually seek to strengthen the organization, we welcome individuals who are competent, innovative, motivated and agile. If this sounds like you, please consider reaching out!