The American Medical Association (AMA) is the nation's largest professional Association of physicians and a non-profit organization. We are a unifying voice and powerful ally for America's physicians, the patients they care for, and the promise of a healthier nation. To be part of the AMA is to be part of our Mission to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.
We continuously work to embed equity in our internal practices and are committed to increasing the diversity of our staff across all levels of the organization. We intentionally work to create the right conditions to enable our employees to feel that they can be their authentic selves and fully participate in the life of the enterprise.
We encourage and support professional development for our employees, and we are dedicated to social responsibility. We invite you to learn more about us and we look forward to getting to know you.
We have an opportunity at our corporate offices in Chicago for a Field Representative – Federation on our Advocacy Administration team. This is a hybrid position reporting into our Chicago, IL office, requiring 3 days a week in the office.
As a Field Representative – Federation, you will Serve as primarily liaison between state, county, and national medical societies and the AMA and promote AMA strategic objectives, policy, and advocacy priorities.
· Serves as primary staff connection between AMA and assigned societies. Facilitates strategic interaction with the federation, building relationships, fostering effective linkages and communications for consensus building and unity.
· Provides first level conveyance of AMA initiatives, policies, challenges goals and objectives to assigned societies.
· Develops strategic plans, with measurable goals and objectives, for liaison activities with assigned federation societies and physician audiences not necessarily connected to organized medicine.
· Attends and actively participates in society meetings and events to ensure solid organizational relationships and strategic outcomes.
· Plans and coordinates strategic interactive leadership meetings between the AMA Board of Trustees and Senior Management with assigned societies.
· Provides AMA staff and leadership with insight into perspectives, ideas and concerns of assigned societies. Provides factual data and background material concerning assigned societies to AMA staff and management to assist in the planning of AMA strategies and programs.
· Contributes to strategic management information through identification of key and emerging issues by providing intelligence memorandums regarding observations and proactive efforts/challenges/successes toward achieving affinity between assigned societies and the AMA.
· Functions closely and cooperatively with appropriate AMA operating units to achieve thorough understanding of association-wide activities and initiatives. Knowledge base of such activities is utilized to facilitate service to the Federation, to enhance membership, and to achieve partnership and consensus with assigned societies.
· Completes other tasks, special projects, and liaison activities assigned.
· Participates in general administrative activities including answering correspondence/inquiries both in writing and over the telephone, attending official external AMA meetings and other internal meetings.
· Participates in planning and implementing Federation Relations meetings, activities, and events.
May include other responsibilities as assigned
Prior related experience of at least four years in professional association, political campaigns/grassroots activities or healthcare required.
Experience working with and learning from constituent organizations through relationship development.
Experience in consensus building.
Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills
Excellent written communication skills, especially skilled at writing background materials for AMA leadership.
PC literacy expected; expertise with Microsoft suite of software preferred; experience with remote access via laptop strongly preferred.
Planning and organizing skills.
Listening ability, including sensitivity and impact.
25% travel required.
AMA’s safety and policy protocols require proof of full vaccination against COVID19 for employment at AMA (including booster when eligible). Employees may apply for a religious or medical exemption from getting the vaccine.
The American Medical Association is located at 330 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 and is convenient to all public transportation in Chicago.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the American Medical Association will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran or disability status
THE AMA IS COMMITTED TO IMPROVING THE HEALTH OF THE NATION
The American Medical Association helps doctors help patients by uniting physicians nationwide to work on the most important professional and public health issues.
AMA policy on issues in medicine and public health is decided through its democratic policy-making process, in the AMA House of Delegates.
The AMA's activities with for-profit entities are directed by AMA guidelines for corporate relationships, and its Internet products follow AMA guidelines for health and information Web sites.
Together, we will play an active role in shaping the future of medicine.
For commenting policies, see our Code of Conduct: http://bit.ly/1aEMHr2